Legal Resources

Custody Booklet (PDF)

What you need to know about:

  • Temporary Custody
  • Legal Custody
  • Permanent Custody
  • Power of Attorney
  • Caretaker Authorization Affidavit
  • Foster Care Adoption

Caretaker Authorization Affidavit (CAA) and Power of Attorney (POA)

In Ohio, if the child lives with the grandparent, there are two documents which may provide the grandparent with authority over the child, the Caregiver Authorization Affidavit and the Power of Attorney. Both documents give the grandparent authority to make medical and educational decisions for the child when the parent is unable to do so. Both documents must be notarized and filed with the juvenile court. Neither document may be executed if the child is in state custody, and neither document affects the rights of the parent nor conveys legal custody to the grandparent.

Pro Se Clinic at Greater Dayton Volunteer Lawyers Project (GDVLP)

Pro Se clinics are every month; you must register with Legal Aid Line as they do all intakes for the GDVLP; you may contact them at or call 1-888-534-1432 and apply for assistance. You must be at or below 125% of Federal Poverty Guidelines to be eligible.

On-line Pro Se forms and filing instructions are available on the Montgomery County Juvenile Court web site.

Kinship Permanency Incentive (KPI) Program

The KPI program is designed to promote a permanent commitment by the kinship caregiver by becoming a guardian and custodian over a minor child who would otherwise be unsafe or at risk for harm in their own home.

KPI provides time-limited incentive payments to families caring for their kin. Families will receive an initial payment of $450.00 per child defray the costs of the initial placement, and may receive $250.00 every six months up to a maximum of $1700.00 per child to support stability in the home, provided the family continues to meet eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for KPI benefits, all of the following conditions must be met:

  1. Caregivers have to meet the 300% of Federal Poverty Guidelines, excluding OWF
  2. Have legal custody of the child on July 1st, 2005 or after
  3. The placement was approved by a public or private children service agency
  4. Be a resident of the state of Ohio
  5. The child currently resides with the kinship caregiver(s).